Creating our virtual ensemble
From watching our social media feeds, it feels like so many musicians are finding ways to connect with each other by performing in virtual ensembles. We, as musicians, have been trained to play with others and it’s an important part of what so many of us like to do.
Creating our own virtual ensemble has been eye-opening for all of us here at ABRSM. We’ve had such an overwhelming response with so many different instruments, so many countries represented and films from all ages and abilities. We’ve also really enjoyed reading your thoughts on the project and how much your children or students have enjoyed learning the piece at home. We’ve met some cute dogs and seen some great Disney outfits! We’ve had stories of students whose exams were cancelled due to Covid19, and we’ve had whole families submit recordings. We never expected such an amazing response!
So, what’s next?
The project has proved that there’s a real appetite for activities like this that you can do at home, that allow you to join up with others outside your local community and that provide an inspiring goal – and deadline – to work towards.
With our new Piano syllabus on the way , we now have a piano project in the pipeline, which we hope all the pianists out there will get involved in.. However, we would also love to hear your suggestions for other virtual ensemble projects . Please send any ideas to [email protected]c.uk
In case you missed it yesterday, here’s the ABRSM contribution to Make Music Day.
Here are some of our favourites:
- Arianna Art Ensemble - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KQhF3tUsFc
- Hear the West End Sing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kIhBgQAw3U
- Foden’s Band - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXzRuPErFqw
- The Big Social Stomp - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUlZvmauEo8&t=113s
- A Sondheim 90th Birthday Celebration - https://youtu.be/A92wZIvEUAw?t=209
- Into the Unknown – Frozen 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShIoFhwGWTs
- English National Opera Die Fledermaus Overture piano duet – (how did this get this so in time!?) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noJOk73lmAM
- The Hermes Experiment: Double Fiesta by Meredith Monk - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GjES0_S2jU
- Nottingham Youth Orchestra Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1dhzTMtt1w
- The thing I like most is the birdsong https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia18omtgYKI